Monday, May 18, 2009

Cabin in the Woods = My Kind of Camping

One of my girlfriends believes that a hotel without room service constitutes camping.  I can go a little farther than that, but why in the world go camping when you can have all the great things about camping (nature, fires, S'Mores) and a nice bed and running water?  

We had a lovely weekend at one of the Sliding Rock Cabins in Ellijay, Georgia (in the mountains, somewhere).  Huge "shout out" to SLR because they allow dogs- no pet fees- and we didn't have to exaggerate about the number of dogs we have We have 3, but when push comes to shove, we have 2 breeds- Golden Retriever(s) and a Border Collie/German Shepherd mix.  Yes, in my head, this somehow justifies breaking the rules.

We stayed in a lovely rustic cabin right on the river and went hiking during the day....side note: I really need to learn how to take pictures as this waterfall was just beautiful.
And had a "camp fire" and roasted S'Mores!  


My secret for super-fabulous S'Mores:
Graham Crackers cut into quarters (I considered the low-fat variety, but why bother?)
Marshmallows- roasted one at a time, preferably over embers rather than roaring flames
Lindt Chocolate- one rectangle

Now here's the key- insert the little rectangle of chocolate into the center of the marshmallow (where the skewer was) and the chocolate will melt inside the marshmallow.  Ooey gooey yumminess.  I also find that I prefer the roasted marshmallow-chocolate to graham cracker ratio best when broken into quarters rather than halves.  Yes, this is a ridiculous thing to obsess about, but whatever.

I'll end with a picture of one of the kids, Tilghman, waiting patiently to go on our walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment