Tuesday, November 24, 2009

"Frank Lloyd Wright" of Atlanta- Robert Green

While researching modern homes in Atlanta for my "One of These Things is Not Like the Others" post, I stumbled upon works by the architect Robert Green. Atlanta has been blessed with many highly skilled architects and designers, but I was surprised to find we had homes designed by a student of Frank Lloyd Wright.

    1885 Walthall Drive
Robert Green studied architecture at Georgia Tech- a few different times. Don't get too excited, Yellow Jackets, he left twice because he found the program too "limiting." Apparently, one of the arguments was surrounding Frank Lloyd Wright.

Shortly after leaving Tech, Green asked Frank Lloyd Wright to allow him into his program. Wright took him on, after Green wrote a "tersely worded" letter. Green was one of Wright's last apprentices and eventually founded his own firm in Atlanta. (Sources: A Line Through History: The Architecture of Robert Green, AIA, Studying Personally with Frank Lloyd Wright, by Robert M. Green)

This house is my favorite of the selections I found. While it's not "my style" I definitely have a strong appreciation of the design elements and materials.











Here are a few others:

Doud-Conner residence (available for location shooting)
b_frontexterior

g_front_door

h_living_04

This next room and bath is a complete surprise (to me) and a dramatic shift from the darker rooms. Love the bath!

l_bedroom_01

m_bath_01

m_bath_03

o_fall_color_01


The next house is 1677 Ridgewood Drive, and I believe it recently sold.






I'm not sure where this house is located-- found from an old real estate link.



This last house, 950 Edgewater Drive, is on the market for $675k (down $450k!).













Know of any others??

For more photographs, see his son's collection of photographs.

Have a great day!

-Emmie

No comments:

Post a Comment