Thursday, June 11, 2009

Peachtree Road Race Preparation!


I received my Peachtree Road Race packet today!  This year is the 40th anniversary of the infamous race.  For those not in the know, the Peachtree is a 10k run held every July 4th on... you guessed it... Peachtree in the heart of Atlanta.  Over 50,000 runners participate in this event.  So if you're looking for a good time- as in, breaking a personal record- this is not the race for you.  If, however, you're looking for a good time- meaning you appreciate the revelry on the sidelines- folks dressed up as Lady Liberty or Uncle Sam,  bands playing, tons of people cheering and early-morning beer drinking- then this is the race for you.  Since I tend to get bored running- and need some form of encouragement- this is the perfect event for me.

Mr. Southern registered us this year so you can just imagine my surprise (read: shock) when I received my number.  No, I'm not in the elite group, but somehow, those nice people at the Atlanta Track Club determined that- even with my terrible time in my last half-marathon- I am a "real runner."  I'm no longer in the back-of-the-pack clan, which consists of a few real runners, lots of walkers, and a few run some, drink some (beer), run some people.  I'm in the THIRD wave!  Mr. Southern is in the second wave- no surprise there.  And all participants will be timed this year... which is why I had to blur my number.  I couldn't have y'all seeing just how slow I really am.

Here's the Official Instruction packet for the race- the picture will give you a sense of how packed it is!


And lastly- my favorite sponsor.  Am I the only who finds it ironic (or at the very least, funny) that the Waffle House is a long-time sponsor of a 10k run?  
But I suppose since I'll be starting the race much earlier this year, I can probably recover enough to have a waffle while it's still morning.  :-)  The beer will wash it down.

Hope to see you there!  I may attempt to bring my camera so I can share all the Independence Day craziness.  

-Emmie

No comments:

Post a Comment