Thursday, June 4, 2009

Touring Atlanta- a peek into some of the oldest neighborhoods

I have the dubious honor of putting together a market tour for my colleagues who will be coming into town next week for the IDDBA (International Dairy Deli Bakery Association annual show). While I love going to the show, prepping for out-of-town business visitors is always stressful. Will this store illustrate what I am trying to convey about the Atlanta market? Will traffic be bad? (Yes).  Will I somehow get lost, as I tend to do, in my own city?  

On the plus side, my trial run gives me a chance to explore further various Atlanta neighborhoods. I must join or start a Dinner Group- there are so many great places to go!  And I didn't even get into Decatur, Buckhead (really) or much of Midtown.  Nevertheless, here are some of my new fave areas--

Inman Park- reportedly Atlanta's first suburb.  LOVE the look of these homes.  Must peruse real estate listings for interior pics.



Cabbagetown- originally a mill village.  Now, a site of cute Southern bungalows (I made that "style" up) and lofts.  Very funky and I love it!  Tried to find a good picture online of Carroll Street- fun little restaurants on a very neighborhood-y looking street.








Collier Hills- site of an old Grist Mill (Collier Mill) and major/bloody battles during the Civil War.  This area is now a mix of almost suburban homes and busy shopping areas.  I guess technically part of Buckhead.  What I love is how you can be at a super-busy intersection and then 2 minutes later, in a quiet, tree-lined, bird-chirping street.





Slideshow image



Old Fourth Ward- Birthplace of Martin Luther King, Jr. and home of his Ebeneezer Baptist Church.  The 1980s brought an uprise in crime, however.  The area is trying to go through revitalization- and in some parts, I'd say it has been pretty successful.  New lofts, cute shops, and restored old homes.  Unfortunately, I think the housing market bust has thwarted some of the progress here.




What's your favorite spot?

-Emmie

No comments:

Post a Comment