Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Baby it's Cold Outside






As I was reading Dagny's blog yesterday, I remembered what it was like to really be cold outside. My first two years out of graduate school, I lived in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Before moving there, I truly feared I might die of the cold. Then I learned it's all about the outerwear (and under wear). I may have been the only gal walking her dogs donned in skipants, skigloves, 2 scarves, and a long down coat with hood, but I was warm.


We're experiencing a cold snap here in the South- snow where there "shouldn't" be snow, high temperatures that don't break 30 or 40. Yes, to us, that is cold.


When one reads about Southern interiors, much of the talk about the Southern climate's influence refers to the oppressive heat. Southern rooms often feature cool, calming colors as a counterpoint to the hot, muggy outdoors. May I suggest that we Southerners have gotten pretty adept at handling the heat- it's the cold we don't do. So here are some rooms that warm me.


This is one of my all-time favorite bedrooms. I love a warm brown in the bedroom- so cozy and warm!


Atlanta Homes Magazine (Beth Webb and Nancy Pendergrast)


Chocolate in the library/great warm creates an equally cozy feel.





Southern Accents via Patricia Gray


D Home Magazine via Patricia Gray


Of course, hues of red immediately add some heat.


Southern Living 2005 Louisiana Idea House



Southern Accents Kim Zimmerman Interiors via Diane James


Southern Accents via Sensational Color



And of course, sunny yellow.


via My Home Ideas (I believe Southern Living)


Jan Showers, Southern Accents

slkids

Southern Living via Spark

And we'll end with something between red and yellow.

Melissa Rufty via Chinoiserie Chic

via A Gift Wrapped Life (from Style redux)

Home of Dedar Fabrizio from Veranda, September 2009

Fabrizio from Veranda via Gaita Interiors

via Matters of Style


Stay warm! And to our friends in Australia- I'm envious!


-Emmie

No comments:

Post a Comment