Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Black, White, and a Little Bit of Gray


I was pulling together torn-out magazine spreads of a bunch of rooms I like for the first meeting with an interior designer (the big reveal will come soon!) and was struck that while I think I'm a "color" person, nearly every single room had a neutral palette.

One of the designers I think of first for this is Barbara Barry. And since I don't hear/read about her much in the Blogosphere, thought I'd share a few of my favorite images. I think Barbara Barry does a great job mixing light and dark colors with pops of fresh flowers and lots of texture.

A very "Barry" example in this Hollywood Hills Home dining room. Love the white against the dark room with the silver and green accents.


Similarly, the breakfast room uses lots of white and creams with green topiary for contrast. And gorgeous view out into the back (I'm assuming) yard. Love the shape of the room.

A little oatmeal in the living room for contrast.

A bluish white on the walls and white furnishings and bedding makes this room a perfect getaway. And I love the doors!


More creamy whites, dark wood accents, and a touch of black in this Piedmont room.

Same house, different "living room" where we return to more blue/gray and white tones.
The bedroom features an almost purple color as contrast to the dreamy whites and creams.

Barbara Barry "Western style" with a bit of glam in Palm Desert. Love the black and white chairs.
A great neutral palette in the St. Francis in San Francisco that goes from whites and grays...
to Black. Love the space shown below. Clearly this wouldn't work in most homes, but you could take it down a notch.

And we'll end some darker gray ones and another touch of black at the Berkley Hotel in London.


Dreamy.

No comments:

Post a Comment